Clue #1 - 2022 March Sweet Freedom Mystery

It's time for Clue #1 of our March Sweet Freedom Mystery!  Are you ready to cut your gorgeous RED/White fabrics...well then, let's get ready ;-)

  • Grab your Red & White fabrics
  • and your 2 1/2" GO! Strip cutter die
  • Cut 2 1/2" strips, sew them together = Red/White/Red and cut into 6 1/2" in-the-raw, (6" FINISHED) blocks
  • You need thirty-two (32) Red/White/Red 6 1/2" in-the-raw blocks, (6" FINISHED)

Red/White/Red sewn strips


(32) 6 1/2" in-the-raw blocks, (6" FINISHED)

Cutting Tips:  You may choose to cut your Red/White/Red fabrics into 6 1/2: strips FIRST, sew together...Quilter's Choice!  

I was able to get six (6) 6 1/2" in-the-raw blocks out of my width of fabric/WOF, after sewing/pressing, due to the width constraints of my fabrics.  You 'may have' different results - depending on your fabrics, whether using yardage and/or scraps, etc.

Because I was only able to get six (6) blocks from my Red/White/Red WOF strip units, this meant I needed to cut six (6) white WOF 2 1/2" fabric strips and twelve (12) Red WOF 2 1/2" fabric strips, since we need one (1) White strip and two (2) Red fabric strips for each block.

Once again - you may have different results depending on your fabric choices, cutting methods, etc.  I generally cut one set of strips, sew/press/cut into blocks and go from there...Quilter's Choice!

Sewing Tips:  IF you choose to cut WOF strips, sew them together and 'then' cut into blocks, make sure you sew a true 'scant' 1/4" seam allowance and try and avoid 'ice skating' your seams - otherwise your blocks won't come out evenly and you will struggle w/quilt assembly.  I enjoy using a seam guide on my machines, others use painter's tape, a stack of post-its - whatever works for YOU to help ensure you are getting your 'scant' 1/4" seam allowance ;-)

Using Seam guide while attaching borders on our
January 2022 Sweet Freedom Mystery

Pressing Tips:  I like to starch while I press my strips - which gives me more control to manipulate and cut my strip units more accurately.  I also press as I sew ie, I sew two (2) strips together, stop & press that seam, then add my final strip and give the ENTIRE strip unit one final press prior to cutting into smaller block units...Quilter's Choice!

One of my 'Best' Pressing friends!

I chose to press ALL my seams towards the Red fabrics.  Since you will NOT need to worry w/nesting seams later on - you may choose to press your seams in ANY direction you like...again, Quilter's Choice!

Have FUN cutting & sewing your gorgeous Red/White fabrics.  Check back next Friday, March 11, 2022 for Clue #2!

Deb Lindley
Sweet Freedom Mystery

Sweet Freedom Mystery Facebook Group:  
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SweetFreedomMystery/ 

Fabrics:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Freedom Mystery RESUMES w/Twist ;-)

Clue #1 of our Sweet Freedom Mystery is HERE!

Clue #2 - Square Up/Sash